When the coronavirus first reared its ugly head there was NO chance that I was cancelling our family holiday to Walt Disney World. No way. I’m not one to accept fear mongering or believe everything the media says.
But there were definitely a few reasons why I wasn’t intending on cancelling this trip.
- We REALLY wanted to go. Taking Ava there for the first time was going to be amazing.
- We’d almost paid it off. It cost too much and we’d sacrificed so much to plan this trip.
- The virus may have gone by October.
- We can catch it anywhere.
BUT WE DID… WE CANCELLED DISNEY WORLD
But a few weeks on I have had my anxiety peaked. Despite it being those with underlying health conditions over a certain age getting the virus I had considered a few things.
- We may carry it and pass it to those who are older and more vulnerable including my in-laws and my mother. We live in an area surrounded by the elderly and I wouldn’t want to risk that.
- The theme parks in Orlando host tens of thousands of visitors per day. Definitely more people than I am used to at home. The more people, the higher the risk. They cannot ensure that every person has washed their hands, sneezed into a tissue or each ride, attraction or restaurant is completely free of germs.
- I have a little one to think of. Just because a child hasn’t contracted it yet doesn’t mean it won’t. And I don’t want her being a statistic. Chances may be slim but she’s my baby and I am never going to put her at that sort of risk.
- October may be far away but that means it’s unclear how much better or worse this thing can get.
- Numbers are small at the moment for Florida cases, but again this can spike.
- If things did get worse and we waited it out for things to get better, we would lose ALL of what we paid, not just the deposit. And we are talking almost £7k.
I seriously think becoming a parent does make you worry about every little thing. And as someone who gets incredibly paranoid, I don’t want to wait until our trip to Disney to see if we are okay or nowt. It’s not just a weekend city break for Paul and I. It’s a 2 week holiday in a very crowded, popular destination, almost 7000km from home.
I don’t want to be stuck in quarantine in the US for two weeks. I wouldn’t want to be separated from my family if one of us did have it. The thought of spreading it to others without it even affecting me is enough to put me off.
I feel as if I am trying my hardest to do my part. And it’s people who think it will all be fine which are the issue with the spread of COVID-19. It’s that ignorance that could have hundreds more dead.
ON THE UPSIDE!
A lot of friends and family have said that we have taken the best decision and made a wise choice. Some think we’re mad and paranoid. Which we are, I guess. But I always say better safe than sorry.
There’s nothing stopping us going to Disney World in a few more years. Perhaps when we don’t have to make sacrifices. When Ava is a little older to understand and enjoy everything. We can go when I won’t be wiping down every table with anti-bac wipes.
Also, we got our money back. This means we can save for other things and not have to save for spending money at this time.
My mother-in-law said to Paul “Laura will be very disappointed.” And of course, I was a little sad. But not half as bad as cancelling NYC for a cheaper more practical trip to Paris. I know I am doing what’s best.
Who knows, I will probably catch it by going to Tesco BUT these things cannot be helped. I’m feeling positive about this choice and I know it’s the right thing to do.
Would you cancel your trip?