It seems insomnia is being more and more common. And all it can start with is a bad night’s sleep. Here are a few ways to increase the likelihood of a pleasant night:
- Wake up call – Make sure you get up the same time every day.
- Work out – Exercising in the morning will make you feel tired later on in the day.
- Short naps – If you need to nap, keep it short otherwise you’ll be too awake at night.
- Cut the caffeine – Don’t drink any coffee or energy drinks after lunch, you will be shocked at how long it can stay in your system.
- Relax in a bubble bath – This is a great way to unwind and even better if you have lavender to soak in as lavender is to help sleep.
- Read a book – Make sure it’s nothing too heavy otherwise you may end up more awake than before.
- Meditate – Before I sleep I listen to the Calm app to help me shut off my mind and concentrate on my breathing.
- Set a bedtime – Yes, you may feel like your 10 again but routine is key.
- Move your phone away from the bed – It’s a huge reason why so many of us stay up later than we should. It’s a distraction! Plus try and avoid screen time an hour before sleep as the blue light keeps you awake long after you have turned your screen off.
- Keep it cool – Make sure your room is at a decent temperature before you go to bed otherwise you’ll be fussing all night trying to cool down or get warm.
- Keep saying “sleep” – This may sound weird but as I am falling asleep I repeat the word “sleep” in my head. It doesn’t take me long to nod off.
If these methods aren’t working and you’re still not sleeping, definitely see your doctor.
Have you been able to recover from bad sleep? What methods do you use?